Friday, January 23, 2009

Necessary Luxuries

Yes, I've heard it all before:

"You're starting a business now? In this economy?"
"It looks like you have a lot of competition out there."
"Are you crazy?"

(OK, that last one I heard in my own head, but it still counts.) All I can say is: "yes", "I know", and "could be". But none of that matters. I've decided that I want to jump in, eyes wide open, and just see what happens. I'm learning a lot along the way, from liability insurance to HTML coding, and so it can't be a total waste of time (and money).

But wait, here is some good news: Forbes.com reports that spending on personal care products is up! It's an interesting article that really got me thinking about what I personally find to be necessary versus a luxury. The line can be blurry.

But right there on the list is "personal care" items, which had a double-digit sales increase last year. So it looks like I've lucked upon one sector that may actually benefit from a downturn in the economy (well, a girl can dream, can't she?). OK, at least, it looks like the downturn may not have as huge an impact as in, say, car manufacturing or fine art. That's good enough for now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment