Sunday, August 23, 2009

Teaching Advanced Techniques in Soap Design

Yesterday was a full day of soapmaking and teaching and teaching soapmaking. It was the first time that I taught my brand-new class "Advanced Cold Process Soap Design with Loaf Molds" at The Nova Studio. (With a title that long, no wonder we needed 5 hours of class time!) I showed a great group of students lots of techniques and ideas for jazzing up their soap with some color and design. And we even made four batches of soap in that one class -- a personal record for me!

3848772334_1030c2c7b7
It was a great group of students, some coming from as far away as Truckee and Arcadia!
3848790324_f8d84d0a61
Some of the sample bars that I brought to explain different techniques.
3848085673_52be3ec38c
Coloring some soap with ultramarine blue.

Alana, the TA for this class, was indispensible.
Alana, the TA for this class, was indispensible.
3848964718_9e85f3d26a

I put the students to work, making shapes to be embedded in a new batch of soap.I put the students to work, making shapes to be embedded in a new batch of soap.

3848831076_8be7fac9e8_mI had a great time, and I think that the students did, too. Tomorrow I'll cut the soap into bars and get ready to send every student a bar from each batch.

I'll be teaching this class again soon, so check with The Nova Studio now if you'd like to join me next time!

And many thanks to Rick (one of the students) for all the great pictures.


0 comments:

Post a Comment