Saturday, March 21, 2009

Judging a Book by its Cover

I've been working lately on redesigning our labels on the soap boxes. I like the simplicity of the old labels, but they were just missing something. So, I found some great images and I think that they really add a lot to the label.

First, they make each label immediately identifiable, more distinct. Before, each label had it's own color and name, but nothing else to single it out.

Next, I tried to find images that would set the stage for the scent visually. Before you even hold it up to your nose to sniff, your mind already has an impression of what's coming. I think that this really adds to the enjoyment of the scent. If I just give someone a bar and say, "What do you think of this one?", often there's a look of confusion first, as she tries to figure out what the scent is, before deciding if it's pleasant. Having an image first, I think, helps "get the ball rolling" on the enjoyment of the scent.

And finally, the images give a sense of dimensionality to an otherwise flat surface. I specifically chose images that are isolated and have good shadows, giving the label more depth.

We'll be rolling out the new labels as we go through the old ones. You can see pictures of them right now on our website. Click on any soap that you're interested in and scroll through the pictures on its product page.

I'd love to know what you think! Post any comments back here and remember to keep up with our blog by subscribing or following: check out the right column -> and choose how you want to stay informed now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment